What’s the job?
You are a relationship builder at the core and can hold a conversation with anyone. The political climate does not hinder your effectiveness because you are fearless in putting forward the agenda of opportunities for those with food insecurity. You have knowledge of the legislative process at the state and local levels and therefore can convey ideas and tap into existing opportunities. You are curious, self-motivated and a quick learner all contributing to your ability to both identify and create opportunities for advocacy and policymaking, discover connections, and help the Field & Fork Network team build collaborations and succeed in advocacy. Ultimately, your approach and efforts lead to secured funding for Field & Fork Network’s Double Up Food Bucks program from state and local government.
About Field & Fork Network:
Field & Fork Network is a fast-growing New York State food and farming non-profit organization that connects communities to innovative solutions that foster a sustainable food system. Our work focuses on four important areas: agriculture economic development, food access, youth development, and healthy neighborhoods. We are a leader in developing programs and projects that address barriers and challenges across the food system while focusing on the unique needs of every community we serve.
About Double Up Food Bucks NY:
Double Up Food Bucks NY (Double Up), Field & Fork Network’s signature food access program, is an innovative healthy food incentive that doubles the buying power of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) recipients, helping families bring home more fruits and vegetables while boosting local agriculture and small business. Double Up started in 7 Western NY farmers markets in 2014 and is now serving SNAP recipients across 30+ New York counties at over 180+ program sites.
What am I going to do?
- Direct a New York State-based advocacy campaign and build coalitions resulting in recurring state and local funding for Double Up Food Bucks NY.
- Develop relationships with legislative offices across the State so that Field & Fork Network is top of mind when there are opportunities for funding and policy development.
- Identify and participate in state and local coalitions that advance food incentive programs and address food insecurity.
- Manage the implementation of NYS legislative advocacy campaign.
- Manage partnerships with other advocates to further policy goals.
- Write briefings and reports in support of advocacy efforts.
- Stay informed on emerging issues in the field and help to develop new policies to address these issues.
- Represent Field & Fork Network at relevant conferences, partner events, and state-level events.
- Travel throughout New York State to meet with legislators and collaborators.
The Skill Set:
- BS or BA college degree.
- 5 or more years of experience in related work.
- Understands food insecurity and food incentives at a local and national level.
- Exhibits the following competencies:
- Relationship Builder: creates opportunity through partnership and inclusion. Gains buy-in without the use of position. Does the work necessary to understand where others are coming from.
- Effective Communicator: excellent written and verbal communication skills to be applied for people who both agree with and disagree with you and the efforts of your organization. Appreciation and understanding of Field & Fork Network’s mission and vision, and the ability to effectively communicate to small or large groups the priorities of the Double Up Food Bucks NY program.
- Organized: keeps track of status with external relationships and manages multiple initiatives simultaneously. Ability to prioritize work. Strong attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines and discretion in handling confidential information.
- Results-driven: measures success by both the outcomes of the efforts and the positive impression left during the process.
- Tech Savvy: proficiency with the Microsoft 365 platform applications and utilizes technology to stay in touch and effectively manage connection with team and external relationships.
- Connections to state and local officials
- Executed successful advocacy campaigns
What we offer:
- We strive to live and advance Field & Fork Network’s Core Values:
- Equity Minded – We honor unique identities and perspectives with dignity
- Forward Thinking – We turn ideas into long-lasting solutions
- Collaborative – We incorporate diverse voices and ideas
- Our work model is hybrid, combining remote and on-site work. This allows us to get things done when and where we are most productive while staying connected to the team and the communities we serve. Your home office may be in any major city in NYS along the Thruway corridor.
- Your salary is supplemented with a competitive benefits package including health benefits, paid time off, and 401(k) employer match.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Angela Janiszewski at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.