Job Posting: Program Coordinator, Double Up Food Bucks New York Grocery Store Program
Field & Fork Network is a food and farming organization dedicated to building a thriving regional food system in New York by creating more economic opportunities for local agriculture and by providing greater access to fresh local foods.
The Double Up Food Bucks program (DUFB) is an innovative way to encourage low-income consumers to use their federal food assistance (SNAP) benefits to purchase fresh produce. The project draws on a pool of funds raised from private foundations and federal funds to “match” purchases at participating markets and retailers. Currently, the program operates at farmers’ markets: when a customer uses their SNAP benefits at a farmers’ market, they receive an equal amount of tokens that can be used at the market to purchase any New York-grown fruit or vegetables.
The DUFB program is set to be piloted at various grocery locations beginning in 2018. The locations of these stores will be in Western New York stretching as far east as Syracuse.
The New York Grocery Store Program Coordinator will work closely with the Double Up Food Bucks staff at Field & Fork Network, and others on the Double Up national team at Fair Food Network.
This is a full-time position based in Buffalo, however, it will require at least 45-50% of the time traveling within New York State. Some evening and weekend work will be required.
Program Coordinator Responsibilities
Field & Fork Network seeks a qualified individual to assist in the implementation of the Double Up Food Bucks Grocery Pilot. Working as part of a program team, the New York Grocery Store Program Coordinator will be responsible for:
• Work with Executive Director and Double Up team to refine in-store processes for all aspects of the program including distributing and redeeming Double Up Food Bucks incentive via an integrated POS system; communications / merchandising / in-store signage using evaluation data and feedback from participating stores.
• Coordinate the creation of all necessary program materials, training of store staff, monitoring the program and data collection.
• Develop and implement marketing programs to increase customer acceptance and usage of the program.
• Coordinate community outreach, in-store educational programming, volunteer support, and special events.
• Work with stores and other partners to improve protocols for tracking origin of produce and improve relationships with suppliers; assist stores in connecting to new suppliers of New York produce as appropriate.
• Collaborate with Double Up program staff, communications team, and evaluators as needed on core program tasks.
• Performs other similar duties as assigned.
- Minimum of having at least a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum of 3 years of successful experience working with community-based organizations and/or with SNAP clients in Western New York.
- Successful experience working as part of a multidisciplinary team and working effectively with persons from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to creating a diverse and multicultural environment, both within an organization and in the community at large.
- Management experience in grocery retail for a minimum of five years; and/or demonstrated competency in the following core areas within the grocery industry: register/front end systems, inventory/ data entry technology; supply chain and produce sourcing; merchandising/advertising, will be considered a strength.
Core Competency/Skills Required
- Ability to represent the organization to a variety of stakeholders in a credible and influential way that focuses on the values of the organization.
- Excellent written and oral communications.
- Excellent analytic ability.
- Team-oriented, anticipatory, self-starter working style.
- Ability to think globally and focus on a large vision paired with the ability to develop and implement local programs that take specific steps toward realizing the vision.
- Problem solving skills, including the ability to think outside the box and to develop novel approaches to solving problems.
- Sound judgment and the ability to make complex, multidimensional decisions based on both facts and knowledge of previous programming, and on strong intuition.
- Capacity to effectively use research and evaluation, especially for improving programmatic approaches.
- Demonstrated risk-taking and flexibility, with orientation toward innovation.
- Accountability to goals and outcomes.
- High tolerance for ambiguity.
- Team effectiveness skills and the ability to use interpersonal and political skills in cooperative and diplomatic ways.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We value the knowledge, skills and abilities that a diverse team brings to Field & Fork Network. In your cover letter please explain how your background will prepare you to be successful in this role.
Field & Fork Network hires without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, height, weight, marital status, disability or any other factor protected under federal, state, or local law. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls, please.